Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Paris 2008 - Post 1



Now that I have some time again - I wanted to actually put down a post on Paris.
I've had the wonderful opportunity to travel a lot; and always try and keep little things like tickets, etc. as mementoes...but I think I'll just put some pictures up at least......when I'm old and losing my memory; I can come here and check these out... :-))

So here goes -

Adelaide and I went to Paris in May (seems like a lifetime ago!!!), after our training in Chicago. The rest of the girls (Megs and Nivash) had already been to Paris; I had never been, and although Ade had been there on a very short trip once, she was keen on visiting and taking in the sights and sounds...so of we went on our French adventure!

Paris is beautiful - and I definitely want to go back sometime when my little one is not so little anymore; and is old enough to appreciate the wonderful museums and architecture.

Also, when the place is not overrun by toursists!! The weather is really good from around May to August - hence the masses of ppl...

The first day there, we walked around - and got to the Notre Dame - Its so grand; the gargoyles really caught my attention as I had been keeping an eye out for them :-)

All the bridges on the Seine are spectacular; and I find it amazing that the French had the foresight to build so many of them - and so wide!! (I've always found that a lot of cities sometimes evolve, without real town planning going into it...)




we then made our way to Sainte-Chapelle (with its beautiful 4-storey stained windows) - this was something I had really wanted to see; and it is spectacular.....

We had lunch at a bistro and the reason I remember it so vividly is that there was a woman with a booming voice, shouting 'MADAAAM' at her customers!! Ade and I were quaking in our boots when it was time to place our orders!!

It was death by baugette!!!

Anyway, we felt much better having eaten something; and then we made our way to the Musee D'Orsay (I have to say, my favourite museum by far!!!) We took some time to rest our laurels, because by then we were starting to feel the pain!!!! Then we realised the Museum was closing fast, so we rushed around trying to take in all the Van Goghs and the Monets.......It was such a beautiful museum that we actually decided to go back on our last day and spent a fair bit of time there.....



After being forced to leave the museum, we rested a bit more - our feet had really taken a pounding by then!! We then made our way to the Eiffel tower, and waited for what seemed like the longest time ever..



It was evening and the views were spectacular - Much better than I had ever imagined. I had never really thought that the Eiffel Tower was beautiful; but it really is something with all the lights turned on in the evening.

4 comments:

pedro jose said...

paris la ciudad de las luces porque acer esto

pedro jose said...

1,2,3,4estoy formando un arvoroto
1,2,3,4

Azalea said...

Darling!!! I'm glad you're writing about Paris - it's fun to read and you write so well anyway. :-)

The pics are spectacular. Looking forward to the next installment...

P.S. Do you speak French?

MJ aka Paps said...

thanks! the next installment is long overdue - sometime soon hopefully......so much for getting some time for myself :-)

I speak a pathetic smattering of French...very poor, considering I did French in Primary for about 1 year..